Samsung announced the Samsung Galaxy A8s with an infinity-O display which is a hole in the screen instead of a notch, which is to compensate for the camera which Samsung is calling a punch hole camera.
Previously there were a lot of leaks about this hole in screen display from Samsung and other manufacturers like Huawei, Honor, and Lenovo but Samsung beat everyone to the hole in screen race.
The rest of the phone is also very capable, it’s powered by the Snapdragon 710 chipset which is a very powerful chipset and on par with the performance of theSnapdragon 835, it comes with either 6GB or 8GB of RAM and storage is 128GB, it also has a Micro SD card slot for up to 512GB of expandable storage. The phone comes with Android 8.1 Oreo with Samsung’s UI.
The screen is a big 6.4” LCD display (Yes there is no Super AMOLED) with a resolution of 1080×2340 and a tall aspect ratio of 19.5:9, the bezels are also quite thin with a slightly thicker bottom chin. The infinity-o camera cutout is 6.7mm wide, it sounds big but much better than an ugly notch.
The cutout houses a 24MP f/2.0 selfie camera, on the back, there are three cameras and a fingerprint sensor, the main camera is 24MP with a f/1.7 aperture the secondary camera is a 10MP F/2.4 telephoto camera and the camera is a 5MP f/2.2 sensor but it’s only for depth sensing.
The phone comes with a USB type C port and no headphone jack, yes it’s the first Samsung phone with no headphone jack. There is a 3400mah battery with adaptive fast charging, the phone will be available in three gradient colors green, blue and grey.
You can pre-order the phone until 21st of December, currently, it’s only available in China but will launch soon in other markets.
There is no official word on pricing yet but we will update when available.
Detailed Specifications for Samsung Galaxy A8s:
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 octacore processor 2x 2.2 GHz 360 Gold & 6x 1.7 GHz Kryo 360 Silver.
- GPU: Adreno 616.
- RAM: 6GB or 8 GB.
- Storage: 128 GB storage, expandable up to 512 via micro SD.
- Display: 6.4″ LCD Display with FHD+ (2280 x 1080) resolution and 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 84.7% screen-to-body ratio.
- OS: Android 8.1 Oreo with Samsung Experience UI 9.5.
- Dimensions: 158.4 x 74.9 x 7.4 mm.
- Weight: 173 grams.
- Camera Primary: 24 MP f/1.7 main, 10MP F/2.4 telephoto, 5 MP f/2.2 depth sensing, LED flash.
- Camera Selfie: 24 MP f/2.0.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, NFC.
- Ports: USB type C, No headphone jack.
- A fingerprint scanner on the back.
- Battery: 3,400 mAh, with fast adaptive charging.
- Colors: Green, Blue, and Grey.